Monday, January 31, 2011

Short Introduction to Mauritius and Its Food

I'm neither a 'cordon bleu' nor a gourmet. I'm not even a great cook but I love food and when you love food, you got to learn to make it. My intention in starting this blog is to share recipes that have been passed down to me over the years and that I have simplified as much as possible to make my life easy. Getting a meal on the table after a hard day's work isn't easy, but we have to do it.

I am vegetarian, not vegan. I still consume eggs and dairy produce to a limited extent. My recipes will be geared more towards vegetarian food, but since I have cooked and eaten meat, chicken and fish in the past, I will give non-vegetarian alternatives in case anyone is interested.

Mauritius is a small tropical island off the east coast of Africa. It measures approximately 40 miles from north to south and 30 miles from east to west. Its population of 1.2 million comprises people of Indian, Chinese, Muslim and Creole origin, living in harmony and respect of one another's culture and traditions. From this amalgam, has risen Mauritian cuisine.

Mauritian food, having Indian, Chinese and especially Creole influence, is extremely diverse. A typical Mauritian meal comprises rice as staple, a pulse dish, a curry, salads and chutneys. The difference between typical Mauritian food and my food is that mine is a very simplified version of everything. With everything I have to do, I can't dedicate more than an hour or so to the preparation of a meal. So, I devised my own methods.

When I mentioned my intention to start this blog to my Facebook friends, the response was overwhelming. I hope you enjoy cooking and eating my food.

I would love to include more photos and I will as the blog progresses. I don't want to delay this any longer. So here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment