Ingredients for 4 persons
- 2 cups cooked long grain or basmati rice
- 1 carrot
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- small can of sweet corn, drained
- 4 shitake mushrooms, soaked in boiling water for about 20 minutes
- 1 inch of ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic (optional)
- Soy sauce
- 1 teaspoonful (tsp) sesame oil (as flavoring)
- 2 tablespoons (tbs) sunflower or peanut oil
- Prepare the rice. I usually make this with leftover rice, but you can also make it with freshly cooked rice. However, in this case, to avoid making a sticky mess, cook the rice at least a couple of hours earlier and allow to cool before using. I cook the rice in the microwave or an electric rice cooker. For fried rice and biryani, I use 3 cups of water for 2 cups of rice. You can add a little vegetable oil to the water to prevent the rice from clumping.
- Chop the ginger and garlic finely.
- Drain the shitake mushroom. You may keep the water and use it as stock for soup.
- Chop the carrots, peppers and shitake in small pieces.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large (deep) pan, preferably non stick.
- When the oil is hot, stir fry the ginger and garlic for a few seconds. Do not allow to burn.
- Add the chopped vegetables and shitake and stir fry for two minutes.
- Add the drained sweet corn and stir fry for a few seconds.
- To the stir fried mixture, add 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1 tsp sesame oil.
- Add the prepared rice and stir fry rapidly. DO NOT ALLOW TO STICK OR BURN.
- Remove from heat and add more soy sauce if required. It is preferable to make less salty and allow each person to season to taste.
You may also add pieces of fried tofu to this dish at the end.
Serve with Garlic/Chilly sauce and a side salad.
Garlic Chilly Sauce
- One clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green or red chilly, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Soy sauce
In a mortar, grind the chopped garlic, chilly and sugar together. Transfer to a small sauce bowl and add light soy sauce. White spirit vinegar can be used instead of soy sauce.
Tips for non-vegetarians
- You can cut boneless chicken, prawns, or fish into small pieces and fry with the garlic and ginger before adding the other ingredients.
- Beat and fry an egg. Cut into thin slices and serve with the fried rice.